Aramark (NYSE: ARMK) is in the customer service business across food, facilities and uniforms, wherever people work, learn, recover, and play. United by a passion to serve, our more than 270,000 employees deliver experiences that enrich and nourish the lives of millions of people in 22 countries around the world every day. Aramark is recognized among the Most Admired Companies by FORTUNE and the World’s Most Ethical Companies by the Ethisphere Institute. Learn more at www.aramark.com or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.Description:
The General Ledger (GL) Lead is responsible for managing a variety of routine and non-routine accounting functions with responsibility for the month-end close process, balance sheet reviews, and monthly variance and other analyses. The GL Lead is responsible for reviewing the work product of GL accountants and is responsible for advanced general ledger tasks and projects as assigned by the Director of Accounting. The GL Lead will also provide training and serve as a knowledge source related to GL tasks. Strong technical accounting and interpersonal skills are needed for success in this role. This role reports to the GBS Director of Accounting.
- Supervises the work of 7 to 9 direct reports (GL accountants). Provides support and oversight related to month-end close, journal entries, field and HQ inquiries, balance sheet reconciliations, and variance analyses. Provides assistance to accountants in understanding and performing SOX controls. Understands advanced concepts relating to accounting and controls and relays those concepts concisely to accountants both formally and informally.
- Sets yearly objectives and provides developmental opportunities for direct reports. Provides timely formal and informal feedback to direct reports including mid-year and year end reviews.
- Ensures deadlines for month-end close and financial reporting requirements are met and all accounting and reporting activities are performed in accordance with the accounting policies and/or the financial procedures of the organization.
- Reviews newly executed contracts/amendments to validate that financial systems are set up appropriately. Ensures that new opening packages and closing packages are accurate and completed in a timely manner. Verifies customer invoicing to ensure that ARAMARK is billing according to the contractual terms. Follows-up with field operations to resolve contract matters and issues.
- Reviews monthly balance sheet reconciliations of selected asset and liability accounts prepared by GL accountants.
- Maintains and monitors applicable SOX controls and provides associated support to team members as well as internal and external auditors. Participates in testing for SOX processes to ensure that accounting controls are operating effectively.
- Supports internal and external audits by providing audit schedules and analyses and responding to inquiries. Assists GL accountants in tasks related to SOX controls and internal and external audit inquiries.
- Acts as a back-up when necessary to cover for open GL accountant positions by performing general ledger month-end close for a portfolio of accounts, which includes: reviewing and following up on monthly financial results with field locations; preparing general ledger entries as needed to ensure completeness and accuracy of the financial results for month-end close; generating and reviewing operating statements; comparing actual results to the budget and investigating/explaining variances; analyzing key accounts; identifying unusual transactions; and verifying adequacy of reserves and accruals.
- Demonstrates a “front line first” approach by providing assistance and timely responses to field personnel requests.
- Participates in ad hoc special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance with at least 5-7 years of relevant experience in an accounting function is required
- Previous supervisory experience in an accounting or finance function is preferred
- Strong analytical and technical accounting skills are necessary for success in this role.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to concisely and accurately relay advanced concepts to GL accountants.
- Ability to objectively review and comment on others’ work product and to recommend corrective action where necessary.
- Strong Excel skills are required.
- Experience with and knowledge of ERP accounting software and all Microsoft Office applications is required. Oracle experience preferred.
- Ability to develop relationships with diverse groups and various levels of financial and operating personnel and to work with those individuals on advanced, project-based tasks.
- Experience in a shared services / centralized accounting environment performing field accounting activities is preferred.
- Ability to work under limited supervision in resolving more complex issues.
- Flexibility, multi-tasking, creative thinking, good business judgment, and strong organizational and communication skills are all required to meet strict deadlines and manage various projects.
- Must be a strong team player and leader, highly motivated, and able to work under pressure during peak periods.
- Ability to perform complex accounting tasks and functions.
- Ability to communicate well with internal and external parties, including the field, customers, vendors, and other Global Business Services team members and provide excellent customer service.
*** Learn more about us on Instagram @aramarkcareers ***