About Aramark Description:
Aramark (NYSE: ARMK) is in the customer service business across food, facilities and uniforms, wherever people work, learn, recover, and play. United by a passion to serve, our more than 270,000 employees deliver experiences that enrich and nourish the lives of millions of people in 22 countries around the world every day. Aramark is recognized among the Most Admired Companies by FORTUNE and the World’s Most Ethical Companies by the Ethisphere Institute. Learn more at www.aramark.com or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
Position Summary: The Hiking Guide position offers the guests who visit Yosemite an opportunity to experience the surroundings of the area in a more intimate manner. The guide will act as a personal guide on Yosemite’s cultural, historical and natural resources while providing support to guests eager to experience the outdoor environment.
- The Hiking Guide will be assigned with the responsibility of leading guests of all ages on an organized and informative excursion.
- Plan and lead backpacking trips into the Backcountry of Yosemite
- Responsible for the safety of the party
- Must know how to administer first aid and be prepared to handle emergencies.
- Responsible for educating yourself on the local ecology, geology, history and culture so that you are well-prepared to provide the informational aspects of the Yosemite area to the guests
- Receive assignment on the day before the hike is scheduled and report to work ready for the hike with the essential gear outlined in the Safety and Operations manual.
- Ensure that all gear is in good condition and depart for pick-up/meeting assignments.
- Double check to make sure that both the First Aid kit and the emergency cell phone are on your person.
- Ensure the safety of all the guests climbing and hiking
- Provide food and snacks for guests
- Greet each guest, brief them on the plans for the activity, present them with the Acknowledgement of Risk form, and collect the necessary vouchers or tickets from each participant.
- Provide a detailed safety briefing and assess each guest on their ability to participate in the activity.
- Conduct the activity maintaining control and leadership and provide valuable interpretive knowledge for the guests.
- Capable of safely operating a 15 passenger van on local roads and highways and will be trained in the proper procedures for filling out required training and operational paperwork.
- Know and comply with all company policies and procedures regarding safety, security, emergencies and energy
- Report to work on time and in complete uniform
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Read, understand, and clearly speak English.
- Must possess a minimum current certification in Adult First Aid/CPR, Wilderness First Responder, and a valid U.S. Driver’s License.
- Must be able to hike long distances (10+miles) in the Backcountry
- 2 years of experience hiking/ backpacking in the Backcountry of Yosemite including VI routes
- AMGA Rock Guide Certification course work (Mountain Guide)
- Submission of climbing resume is required (Mountain Guide)
- Strong desire to excel in the recreation and tourism field and demonstrate comfort in an outdoor environment.
- A history of outdoor recreation experience is preferred along with some form of interpretive training.
Equipment Used: Phone, Calculator, Photocopier, backpack, tent, stove
Travel Requirements: Little or No Travel (>10%)
Lifting Requirements: MEDIUM - Lifting 50 pounds maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
Physical Requirements: BENDING CONSTANT KEYING/FINGERING OCCASIONAL HEARING CONSTANT REACHING CONSTANT SEEING CONSTANT SPEAKING CONSTANT STANDING CONSTANT WALKING CONSTANT LIFTING CONSTANT